Monday, January 21, 2008

Our Poor Little Dog

This week threw me for a loop! Our dog Buddy had a cancerous cyst on his leg. Tony took him to the vet a couple weeks ago and they removed the cyst. Our instructions were to clean it with hydrogen peroxide and have him wear one of those e-collar cone-looking things on his head so he wouldn't lick the incision. Last week was so busy, it took me until Wednesday to get it cleaned. I dabbed on the peroxide and thought it still looked red, so I used some Tea Tree oil on it. Tea tree oil is a powerful yet natural antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal medicine, so I thought if I works on my cuts, why not his?

I went to work for a very long day of teaching and parent teacher conferences (not my favorite part of the year). I came home in between school and conferences to let our dogs outside. Buddy was shaking and he wouldn't jump down from a very small bench he was sitting on. I walked to the back door and thought for sure he would jump down. I waited, called and he never came, so I went back in the living room and picked up the still shaking puppy and carried him outside. He walked around, but didn't act normal. I became concerned because Buddy's normal behavior is a hyper, happy, I want to lick your face all over attitude. When he came in, I gave him a rawhide chew and thought he would perk up. Instead, he fell over trying to pick it up. I left my cell phone at school, so I didn't know what to do.

I ended up leaving him home, running to school and calling my husband. He panicked and told me to cancel my conferences and take Buddy straight to the vet. It was 4:58 p.m. and my conferences began at 5:00 p.m. What was I supposed to do? He ended up calling around and he got ahold of my aunt who was able to come to my school, get my house key, grab Buddy, and rush him to the vet. Tony explained what I had done and after an examination, a call to poison control, a $60 call to animal poison control, a blood test, and IV fluids the vet determined Tea Tree oil is poisonous and paralyzing to dogs and cats. Good information to know earlier that morning!

After conferences I was able to pick up Buddy at my Aunt Bonnie's house. He was 100% different than the dog I had left 4 hours before. He jumped around, wagged his tail, and licked like crazy. I am very thankful to have family to help when Tony is gone and for the vast amout of medical information we can access online. I will spread the word to EVERYONE I know, so that this won't happen to another family. Tony also found out that Tea Tree oil can be poisonous to babies as well, because their bodies can't metabolize the oil. I am so thankful I learned this before we have a baby! I know now to always do my research before I use anything to treat animals, children, or myself.

3 comments:

Kari said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm glad your little doggie is ok.

Lori said...

Hi Lindsey, We're glad Buddy is ok, I know our pets are like our babies. Isn't it nice to know that there are other doctors out there, who are trained and smart enough to help? You just can't blindly believe in one of anything, ie: doctors, religion, etc., to help or make your life better. There are many options out there, and it's good to explore alot of things. We love you, Auntie Lori and Hannah

Paige said...

Who knew! Glad to see you're getting some posts up!