It took me a few weeks to think this over, but hen I think of birthdays, I think of waking up to a "Happy Birthday" song and a day full of special things. My 27th birthday didn't start out that way. Maybe I was just being childish! Even though I am getting older I still think your birthday should be special. My husband was in a hurry to go to work and I was bummed that he hadn't remembered to make it "special" in my mind. He said "Happy Birthday" and was out the door.
(As I write this, I feel a little selfish, because I am sure many people have much worse birthdays.)
Others would probably have been happy to have a day to do with what they pleased, but I felt, confused I guess. I did go to a brunch at a friend's home (from church) in the morning. She made yummy chicken salad sandwiches and a delicious avocado and pomegranate dip (it was so festive). Later in the afternoon, Sawyer and I took Tera (she got me great hairspray and a cute nail polish-thank you) with us to Baskin Robins for a free scoop of cherry chocolate ice cream. On your birthday, Hollywood Video gives you a free rental, so I rented The Secret Life of Bees. In the evening, family and friends called to share birthday wishes and Tony brought home a card from him and one from Sawyer with a hot stone massage certificate (Thanks and yay!). There was church dinner and activity that I wanted to go to, but I thought Tony would be sad, so we went and had a delicious dinner at Sizzler instead.
I guess it didn't feel like a birthday because I didn't really unwrap anything, blow out candles, eat cake, or have balloons. There were many great things in my day and I looked past them all because I was missing these 4 things.
Mom's must know that these things are important, because Friday night my mom came up to visit and she brought homemade carrot cupcakes with candles, a ballloon, and fun gifts (they were in bags, but I loved them just as well). Thanks mom!
My little brother and aunt came with my mom so we could attend the annual craft fair on Saturday (I LOVE the craft fair). Tony doesn't understand why this is so important, but it is a tradition that makes it feel like my birthday has come and the holidays are on the way. He had to go to SLC to take the CPA exam again (cross your fingers that he passed).
Anyhow, I hope this doesn't sound like I am a selfish brat. I know I am loved and the kind wishes and gifts I recieved were so wonderful. I am grateful for so many things, I just realized how important the little things can be to make a day special.
2 comments:
Happy Birthday Linds. Just for the record, I would prefer a hot stone massage over cake & balloons. :) But I get what you are saying. In the years to come I'm sure you will have a birthday party with streamers, balloons, and party hats. Sawyer will insist on it. At least thats how it is at our house. Brynlee doesn't think it's a party without decorating with dollar store goodies and wearing princess party hats. Hope your 27th year is fabulous. And I hope Tony did well on his exam.
Thanks Kim!
Post a Comment